Wednesday 7 November 2007

Titanic in SL

After seeing a post on Miss Jewell's aetheric journal about a Titanic build I decided to investigate.

My human avatar was bitten by the Titanic bug some 25 years ago and spent many weekends discovering how the State Library catalogue system worked (back in the days when they still had catalogue cards) poring over microfiche readers.

There have been a couple of build purporting to be the Titanic but they've been rather generic ship more than anything else.


The exterior of the RMS Titanic. This is a well put together construction with the overall aspects of the great liner noted and present.


The Grand Staircase

Sadly what could have been an amazing build has been reduced to a themed shopping complex. Floor after floor of vendors selling hugely inappropriate goods really killed the sense of wonder I started out with.



Bikinis, naked women, strappy shoes... Must be a shopping centre.

I had originally thought this might all be done to offset the tier cost, but at the little museum in what was the Officer's Quarters says, the land was donated to him to place the Titanic in.

If you want to see for yourself, head to http://slurl.com/secondlife/Volcano Cay/172, 167, 23

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more, Sir.
Captain Morphius Barbosa has recreated a fine specimen of the Titanic even though it's has been called just a ship shaped mall in various aetheric reports.

And I too felt let down by the lack of decent costumes available on board. As I mentioned in my reply to your earlier comment, it is missing quality Edwardian fashions and well designed Titanic related costumes on board...

In my humble opinion of course.