Monday 3 December 2007

Alba gu brath

Friday was the night I had been looking forward to for many months, when myself and the the Duchess of Loch Avie jointly presented the St. Andrew's Day festival for Caledon.

Sadly I was unable to make the Caber toss due to timezone differences (and having been up rather late the night before). But I had managed to twist Professor Avalanche's arm into coming up with a Hammer Throw to compliment it.


Hammer throwing.

However once potential throwers realised if you skittered the hammer along the ice it didn't register until it hit the ground at the end, the game soon devolved into a version of curling.


Next saw the Champions' Tournament. Acting as Champion for the Duchy of Carntaigh, I was defeated in the first round by the eventual winner of the Day, Miss Alex Fitzsimmons. I redeemed myself in the massed combat by making three kills before being finally eliminated.

Once darkness arrived out came the music and I set along a many and varied set of Scottish tunes for a great céilidh.


An assortment of Scottish delights including Scottish tablet, IRN BRU, deep fried Mars bars, Scotch eggs and uisge-beatha.


Revellers in kilts and tartan


More flinging


Even Steelhead's Sheriff Ortega found himself bekilted.


Even the wild haggis found themselves drawn to the festivities.


Some stray sheep wandered into the clearing wondering what all the noise was about


And then strange things like cats with buttered toast strapped to their backs started appearing.

I had a great night and it was my great pleasure to be able to co-host this wonderful event.

Slainte Mhath!

1 comments:

Emilly Orr said...

I had *so* much fun. It was a wonderful evening!

Also of note: vorpal bunny sightings. There's one to keep an eye on next to my Penzance property--it seems to be hungering for something moving inside of the Radio Riel building.

Miss Gustafson, having been informed, has permission to shoot if it springs. :)