Thursday 26 July 2007

A letter from the Solicitor


Last week I received the most astonishing correspondence. Delivered with the evening post was a parcel addressed from the solicitors Sue, Grabbitt and Runne that contained a large number documents.

It seems with the death of my cousin Arthur, and his son Henry having died tragically in the brewery explosion last year, that I have inherited the title of the Earl of Primbroke! I must say it comes as something of a surprise. I had met my cousin on those few occasions of broader family gatherings, but I never thought I would be the one inheriting the title. While I know on my mother's side I'm related to the Duchies of Carntaigh and Loch Avie, on my father's side we were a rather cadet branch of the family.

I've been going over the details with my own solicitor seeing what entails are on the Estate. The Duchess of Carntaigh has kindly offered to include my own investiture with the upcoming ceremony of L'ordre du Rossignol.

So this will make me Lord Primbroke and Christine Countess Primbroke. Though I will still be answering to Sir Edward or Edward or Mr. Pearse or however else I'm likely to be called (though one day I hope to put and end to people incorrectly saying "Sir Pearse").

Now to work out what to wear...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Lord Edward!

I think your usual attire should be quite suitable, though I would recommend the dress black trainers for such a solemn occation.

Corgi said...

Your Excellency, why aren't you being styled as 'Earl Primbroke'? 'Lord' is usually considered the title lower in precedence, as I've understood these things.

On an unrelated tangent, since I have no idea of your schedule(s) and am uncertain of the reliability of your Victoria City postbox:
http://pics.livejournal.com/sff_corgi/pic/001zs6pc

Anonymous said...

I'll have my tongue cut before I call you Sir Pearse, sir. :P

(Congrats!)

Amber_Palowakski said...

Congratulations Lord Edward!

Edward Pearse said...

Dear Corgi, actually "Lord" is not a title but rather a collective grouping for Barons to Marquesses. Most usually Barons would be referred to as Lord (because "Baron" was so... European) but it also applied up.

But Earl Primbroke would be the more correct form and used when there's more than one Peer about.

And a very nice Klaus! I'll have to introduce you to Mr. Szondi, our resident Jager.

itsdavidvc said...

Congratulations indeed, Lord Primbroke!

While we're on the subject..does someone who becomes a Founding Member of a new Caledon sim receive a title with hit?

~Dr. Mason

Edward Pearse said...

Dr. Mason, as far as I'm aware the only titles that come with a sim are for the *void* sims (that is owning the whole sim) such as Carntaigh, Primverness, etc. There are four or five new ones on the way, though I'm not sure how booked up the waiting list is on those.

Emilly Orr said...

Eh, Edward, you'll know when I call you Sir, or Earl...I'm just being snarky anyway.

Though I could get into Countessing Christine to death...muaha.

Gabrielle Riel said...

Although I am saddened by the death of dear, distant Cousin Arthur, I will be thrilled to present you and Christine at the Court Induction Ball on August 11.

Her Grace, Gabrielle Riel
The Duchess of Carntaigh