Monday 8 June 2009

Building persuits.

My first build was my first shop in Caledon Victoria City. I was just starting out with very little understanding of Photoshop and two NCI build classes. Yet even then I'd wanted to try and build something that had the right flavour of the period.


The only picture I have of my first shop. November 2006 in Victoria City.

I took photos of surviving shop fronts in my local city, made them into textures and built things like the recessed shop door into the front of the building.

Since then my building skill and my Photoshop knowledge have grown considerably. But I'm still an experimental builder. I build by feel, looking at a range of textures, putting pieces in, taking them out again until it clicks into place and feels "right".

I've built things for other people since then, notably the Radio Riel Head Office or the The Clarendon in New Babbage or my replacement shops for Victoria City and New Babbage. Friends will tell you your buildings are great because friends usually like your stuff anyway. But when someone you barely know approaches you with a building commission because they like what you've done it does boost the ego somewhat.

The Primgraph Press now has offices in Caledon Glengarry. My first official commission for something I wasn't directly involved with (well OK I've written for the Primgraph but I'm not a staff writer or anything).


The layout is based on the Oxford Press at the University of Oxford


The Courtyard sans shrubberies.


Rows of offices for the staff. Though I should probably install rabbit hutches and stack them in in shelves rather than individual offices.


It's a little spartan at the moment but once the staff move in it will look a lot more lived in. They might even get an actual printing press installed :-)

2 comments:

Rhianon Jameson said...

I had noticed and admired the building exterior during one of my rambles through Glengarry, but did not know you were the builder. My compliments on a job well done - though anyone having visited your Babbage Pearse'd & Cut would not be surprised.

Christine McAllister Pearse said...

I still love your first shop! :-)