Saturday 30 April 2011

Caledon: 19th Century Victorian Steampunk?

I try not to be too critical of other people's builds. Sure I'll discuss it with my friends but I'm not going to log into group chat and tell you your build sucks. But sometimes there are limits.

Earlier this month the Guvnah of Caledon sent out the following message to all Caledon residents:

..most of us love Caledon dearly, BUUUUT... would love to just tweak the theme ever so little to make it our own!

As you all know, I'm very easy going. But the difference between Caledon and mainland, in no small part, is our common vision. Please, everyone take a look at your builds... I love whimsy, I love daring builds... but ask yourselves... am I helping our theme, or not helping quite so much?

Gently,

Des


It's good to see that some residents of Victoria City are taking close heed of such requests...


Because glowing blue grass and sparkling mushrooms are now Victorian Steampunk.

Seriously people, if you want to live in an elven forest, move to Avilion, or at the very least Tanglewood. But not in the capital city of Caledon.

1 comments:

Rhianon Jameson said...

It's a perennial issue, isn't it?

It would be nice if more experienced hands would make gentle suggestions ("Er, perhaps a less glowing set of foliage, possibly from [fill in store], would fit in better with the overall aesthetic of Caledon."). Of course, there is no guarantee that the recipient of the advice will take it in the spirit in which it is given.

I occasionally think the Clockwinder has the right idea in reserving final approval of all builds.